The Internet has changed the landscape of doing business today. Reaching your customer is now easier, thanks to various internet marketing methods and strategies. But for first timers, it can be a daunting task to know which online strategy is the right fit for your business.
There’s no need to worry, though. Below, we listed some of the widely used methods and strategies and their pros and cons to help you launch your first internet marketing campaign.
Content marketing is a form of marketing that involves strategic creation and distribution of valuable, relevant, and consistent content. This helps attract and retain audience, and eventually, drive a profitable customer action.
- Costs 62% less, and generates approximately three times the volumes of leads
- Builds authority, making you a knowledgeable expert in the industry
- Supports all aspects of the marketing funnel, i.e. brand awareness, lead generation, conversion, etc.
- Time-consuming and takes a long time to get results
- Needs a team of experts with varying skills, e.g. content writing, design, social media, etc.
Search engine optimization (SEO) helps business websites increase the quantity and quality of traffic they receive through organic search engine results.
- Leads generated from SEO can go as high as 14.6% close rate according to the Search Engine Journal
- Gives your business exposure to people looking for solution online
- Drives continuous traffic to your website through on-page and off-page techniques
- SEO results take time
- Does not guarantee results, especially page 1 ranking
Email marketing is an essential strategy to develop relationships with potential customers. It also uses emails to promote your products or services.
- Emails can be personalized for better click rates
- Can be segmented to better resonate to specific groups
- Measurable, which allows you to know which subscribers click the most on your email
- Requires to build email list to be effective, which takes time
- 1.6% of Americans don’t open their emails according to Business Insider
Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing is an internet strategy that allows businesses to interact with their audience via social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn, among others.
- Allows you to better reach your customers and build authentic relationships with them
- Gives your brand personality through consistent posting
- Enables you to closely monitor your audience behavior via social listening
- Takes time to build brand awareness and ROI
- Risk of negative comments since most of your posts are public
Paid Advertising, aka pay-per-click (PPC) marketing, is a way to use search engine advertising to generate clicks to your website. Unlike SEO, this uses inorganic or paid methods to get drive traffic to your website.
- Easy to set up and gives you quick results
- Exposes your business both locally and globally
- Allows real-time tracking of your ads
- Not free
- Ads disappear after the campaign
There’s much more to explore about these internet marketing methods and strategies. But from the simple explanations above and the pros and cons we presented, take it from there to delve deeper into the online strategy you think is right for your business.